Charlotte Youth Rowing is Charlotte’s first and largest youth rowing team established in 2000. We are a travel team supported by the Brace Family YMCA in Matthews, NC and row out of the Catawba Yacht Club located on Lake Wylie in Charlotte, NC. CYR is a club team comprised of middle and high school students from over 20 NC and SC schools. Our program produces athletes who have gone on to row at schools such as UNC Chapel Hill, Dartmouth, Duke and Clemson.
Who can row? Boys and girls, tall and short, heavy and lightweight are all welcome. Previous sports participation is helpful, but not at all necessary. If you are small and have leadership skills, we would love to talk to you about being a coxswain – the one who steers the boat, assists the coaches with practice, and strategizes about our races. If you are bored or “burned out” with your current sport, if you find your sport unrewarding, or you haven’t found a sport you love – check us out!
The team is split into two squads as described below:
- DEVELOPMENTAL – The Developmental squad is for middle schoolers, specifically 7th and 8th graders. Potential participants must weigh at least 100 lbs and be at least 5 feet tall. This is an introduction to rowing, both sweeping (1 oar) and sculling (2 oars).
- COMPETITIVE – The Competitive squad is for high school students (8th graders who can make the scheduled practices are also eligible). The emphasis is on the technique of rowing– sculling and sweeping –as well as fitness and character development.
COVID-19 Update (Sep 2020)
Please note that due to Covid-19 and for the health and safety of our rowers, the club has the following restrictions:
- Masks must be worn at all times at the lake
- We were unable to host our Learn to Row event in for the Fall season, but are hopeful to host one in February 2021 for the Spring season
- Only experienced rowers are allowed on the water
- Only single shells will be used at this time
Please check back in January 2021 for further updates.
Join the team
Once registration for Spring 2021 is open, below is some additional information about how to register. These instructions will be for both members and non-members.
Guide to YMCA Registration
- The web site address is www.ymcacharlotte.org.
- On the home page please click on the MY ACCOUNT tab.
- Use the left hand side in if you have already set up an online registration account.
- Use the right hand side if you don’t already have an account set up.
- Follow the instructions for setting up an account if you do not have one (enter email address, then fill in form as prompted).
- Once you have your account set up (or if you have logged in) please select the PROGRAM SEARCH button.
- Next please type in the word “crew” in the keyword search, click on Search.
- This will bring up the Crew: Fall Season Fee (once it is active).
- Proceed with registration by clicking on this program.
For TECHNICAL problems with registration you can contact Marla Cesario (see below). For issues of cost, fee amounts, etc contact Ryan Graham at ryan.graham@YMCACharlotte.org.
Our program is run entirely by volunteers. Our dedicated coaching staff volunteers thousands of hours every year offering practices six days a week on the lake and indoors. Additionally, we maintain a fleet of racing shells (boats), oars, coaching boats, and trailers purchased by our coaching staff and team parents. Our parent volunteers coordinate the rowers housing, travel, and supervision at regattas in addition to fundraising throughout the year.
For New Parents
Welcome aboard! Parent involvement is key to the success of CYR. We encourage our new parents to volunteer for we think that is the best way to meet other parents and to learn more about the sport! There are many ways to get involved – showing up at regattas (once we have them again!!) to cheer for our children, chaperoning at a hotel or pitching in at events; your help is imperative and truly appreciated. Just ask us how to help! We all have a responsibility to support the team. Please note that “Sign up genius” emails are sent out frequently for parents to register for volunteer time slots and other opportunities. Is there something else you want to know? Please visit our FAQ page!