Charlotte Youth Rowing is Charlotte’s first and largest youth rowing team established in 2000. We are a travel team supported by the Brace Family YMCA in Matthews, NC and row out of the Catawba Yacht Club located on Lake Wylie in Charlotte, NC. CYR is a club team comprised of middle and high school students from over 20 NC and SC schools. Our program produces athletes who have gone on to row at schools such as UNC Chapel Hill, Dartmouth, Duke and Clemson.
Who can row? Boys and girls, tall and short, heavy and lightweight are all welcome. Previous sports participation is helpful, but not at all necessary. If you are small and have leadership skills, we would love to talk to you about being a coxswain – the one who steers the boat, assists the coaches with practice, and strategizes about our races. If you are bored or “burned out” with your current sport, if you find your sport unrewarding, or you haven’t found a sport you love – check us out!
Learn to Row
Want to try rowing? Charlotte Youth Rowing will offer new rowers an opportunity to get a taste of what the program is all about during Learn to Row which will take place in late August. Stay tuned for more info this summer!
For more information and/or to register, contact Coach Byron “Doc” Walthall at email@example.com.
Join the team
Below is information about how to register for the 2019 Spring season. These instructions will be for both members and non-members.
- Spring 2019 registration is now complete. Fall 2019 Registration will begin August. Learn to Row will be scheduled for a weekend in late August.
*IMPORTANT: Rowers will not be able to practice on the water if they are not registered with the YMCA.
Guide to YMCA Registration
- The web site address is www.ymcacharlotte.org.
- On the home page please click on the my account tab.
- Use the left hand side in if you have already set up an online registration account.
- Use the right hand side if you don’t already have an account set up.
- Follow the instructions for setting up an account if you do not have one.
- The instructions are fairly easy to follow.
- Once you have your account set up please select the program search tab.
- Next please type in the word crew under key word – in column on left hand side of the screen – then go to bottom and click on search.
- This will bring up the Crew: Fall Season Fee.
- Proceed with registration by clicking on this program.
For new people to the YMCA who have never been a member or participated in any programs please follow directions below for creating an account.
- Q: I have never been a YMCA of Greater Charlotte member and have not participated in any programs. How do I activate my online account?
- A: You will need to complete 4 steps to create an account for you and your family if you have never been a member of the YMCA of Greater Charlotte or have never participated in one of our programs.
- STEP 1: Click on the “Login” link at the top of the website.
- STEP 2: Click on ‘Find my Customer ID’ hyperlink under the Create new account area.
- STEP 3: Fill in your First Name, Last Name, Birthday, and Zip Code. Click Search
- STEP 4: Under the Search button it should now say ‘We were not able to locate your username with the information provided crate an account. Click on the ‘create an account’ hyperlink.
For TECHNICAL problems with registration you can contact Marla Cesario (as below). For issues of cost, fee amounts, etc contact Andrew Reinkin.
Our program is run entirely by volunteers. Our dedicated coaching staff volunteers thousands of hours every year offering practices six days a week on the lake and indoors. Additionally, we maintain a fleet of racing shells (boats), oars, coaching boats, and trailers purchased by our coaching staff and team parents. Our parent volunteers coordinate the rowers housing, travel, and supervision at regattas in addition to fundraising throughout the year.
For New Parents
Welcome aboard! Parent involvement is key to the success of CYR. We encourage our new parents to volunteer for we think that is the best way to meet other parents and to learn more about the sport! There are many ways to get involved – showing up at regattas to cheer for our children, chaperoning at a hotel or pitching in at events; your help is imperative and truly appreciated. Just ask us how to help! We all have a responsibility to support the team. Please note that “Sign up genius” emails are sent out frequently for parents to register for volunteer time slots and other opportunities. Is there something else you want to know? Please visit our FAQ page!